Wednesday 4 August 2010

{Chinoiserie}

I saw this dreamy bedroom on House Beautiful. It is the apartment of American Designer David Kaihoi. About the wallpaper he said 'It's 18th-century Chinese. I stumbled across it at an auction, this pile of dilapidated pieces that nobody else wanted. I had to have it. I found three large scenes, placed them around the room, and pieced in the gaps and torn bits. The idea was to create a jewel-box effect in the bedroom, with pattern to distract your senses from the tight quarters. I papered the wall in the spirit of a collage, trying to make the most of a beautiful old thing. Call it a new take on a traditional application.'



If only we could all afford some 18th Century Chinese wallpaper eh!? This is the wallpaper that I've got in my main bedroom, its not quite as stunningly beautiful as David Kaihois but I love it and thats all that matters:

No comments:

Post a Comment